What we miss the most about those summer days, besides those hot days, is drinking the cold brew in one of our favorite coffee shops, however, we bring you a way to do cold brew at home.
Cold brew has been around for a long time and has gained popularity over the recent years. Its rich, bold flavors, smoothness and low perceived acidity make this drink incredibly palatable. Because the coffee is brewed with cold water and stored cold, there is less dilution when ice cubes are added.
Difference between regular coffee and cold brew
Regular coffee is extracted in hot water which helps develop coffee bean’s natural flavors, sugars and caffeine while cold brew’s brewing process is using cold water which develop a smoother flavor and gentle power of the beans.
Cold brew contains more caffeine than just regular coffee however has a smoother finish because it is less acidic.
How to make cold brew coffee at home?
What you might not know is that cold brew is easy to make at home, and there is a lot of devices that could help you do it. In this article, we will post a recipe using a regular French press. Let’s see the steps and specifications.
- Grind: medium coarse (it will depend on the grinder you are using)
- Brew ratio: approximately 1:6
- Water temp: cold (from fridge or tap)
- Total brewing time: 12-16 hours
- Grind the coffee to a medium-coarse size, add it to the brewing chamber of a French press, and gently shake to level the grounds. Add the water. Insert the plunger, but do not press it all the way. The mesh filter should just rest on the grounds, keeping them submerged. Transfer the French press to the refrigerator and let the coffee brew.
- Remove the French Press from the refrigerator and remove the lid. Stir 3 times and set it aside for 5 to 10 minutes to allow most of the tiny coffee particles to sink to the bottom of the vessel. Then insert the plunger, but no depress it all the way. Plunge it just enough so the mesh filter rests gently on top of the coffee.
- Gently pour the cold brew concentrate into a separate container. And dilute if desired.