Whole bean vs ground coffee
There is a difference between ground coffee and whole bean coffee? Which one is better for you? It depends on different options: Brewing time available, coffee education, convenience and so on.
Coffee beans go through a very long process from seed to plant, and plant to fresh coffee bean. But once the bean is ground up, it starts to age rapidly.
Whether you are a coffee connoisseur or just the average drinker, deciding which type of coffee to buy greatly affects the coffee experience. The main difference between pre-ground and whole bean coffee is freshness but, also, you could find more flavor and scent when the coffee is whole bean.
If you are among the typical coffee drinkers, your ground-up coffee beans should be kept in an airtight container and must then be used up within 1 or 2 weeks to maintain optimal freshness in every brew. If this time frame is too short for you, opting for whole bean coffee is a better and more cost-efficient option.
Benefits of ground coffee
- Ground coffee is easy to find. The majority of coffee bags in the supermarkets are ground.
- The easiest and fastest way to brew coffee at home.
- Consistent, uniform grind size.
- No need to purchase a burr grinder.
Disadvantage of ground coffee
- Coffee loses freshness more quickly.
- You can’t make adjustments to the grind based on taste.
- You can only brew the coffee using the specific brew method it was ground for.
Whole Bean Coffee
When you buy and brew whole bean coffee you are looking to have the freshest cup possible every time, if properly stored
Benefits of whole bean coffee
- Beans stay fresher over a longer period of time.
- You can grind your beans for different brew methods each time.
- You can make micro-adjustments to the grind for superior extraction.
Disadvantage of whole bean coffee
- Less convenient. You will need to grind your beans each time you brew.
- You will need to ensure your beans are being ground correctly and that your grind size is consistent.
- You will need to purchase a burr grinder for your home.